In a paleo diet you can’t eat grains which means you’re missing out on a yummy and popular breakfast, oatmeal! I’ve actually never been a huge oatmeal person because I prefer to have a lighter breakfast with more protein which is why my paleo “oatmeal” is a perfect option!
There is something nice about a warm bowl of oatmeal with some cinnamon to warm my belly on a cold day though. However, sometimes it feels a little heavy like it’s just sitting in my stomach and I often end up hungry shortly after because it’s not enough protein for me.
This recipe is awesome because it brings the flavor, warmth, and texture of oatmeal without the grains. It also is full of protein from the eggs and fiber from the flax. Even if you can eat oatmeal or are a huge oatmeal fan, this is a delicious recipe to try if you want to switch things up!
- 1/3 Ripe banana
- 1 Tsp Ground flax
- 1 Egg (use 2 eggs if you’re omitting egg whites)
- 3 Tbs Egg whites
- 1 Tsp Nut milk
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- Splash Vanilla extract (optional) Use if you like a sweeter oatmeal
- Place banana in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds or until it can be mushed with a fork.
- Add eggs to the bowl with the banana and mix well with a fork.
- Add flax (I like this brand), nut milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract (if you’re using it) and stir well.
- Spray a small pan with coconut oil (or cooking spray of choice) and heat on medium.
- Pour mixture into pan and stir/mix frequently with a spatula, separating the pieces (like you would cook scrambled eggs). This helps make the consistency more like oatmeal. Cook for 2-4 minutes or until eggs are cooked.
- Serve in a bowl with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top and add any desired fruit. It’s great with strawberries or blueberries!
The Balanced Belly is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.